Sunday, February 8, 2009

HaliFacebook

Facebook has its “LVRs” and its “h8ters,” and I guess you would have to count me as one of the lovers. I confess that I use it to keep up with (and, occasionally, spy on) my friends and acquaintances. I’m not above updating my status from “Ang is bummed that it’s raining” to “Ang is trying to get ahead of her deadlines” on an almost daily basis.

And, clearly, I’m not the only Haligonian who’s into it. Aside from all the individual profiles, a quick scan of the “groups” list reveals that there are over 500 Facebook groups with a Halifax connection. These groups are places where people with common interests can get together and LOL to their hearts’ content.

Perhaps not surprisingly, oddities and niche interests abound. Check out this sampling of groups you can join if you’re seeking like-minded souls in Halifax.

There are several groups devoted to the quirks and joys of living here, my favourite being “Satan's Ploy: the new Roundabout in Halifax.” There is also a place for those who fondly recall a tire that used to hang mysteriously from the highest limbs of a tree at the side of Highway 102, called “for the tire in the tree.” To quote the group’s creator, “the tire was a good tire but some idotes (sic) took it out.” Amen, brother.

There are lots of food-related groups, from “donairs of Halifax”, to “rubber-band-wearing-no more fast food eater people”, to “so what if I’m a vegan, your mom is still ugly.” The constant lack of donairs and other fast food is probably making some of these last folks cranky.

Local restaurant-loyalty groups are numerous. I personally enjoy “to me, look ho ho has it’s (sic) own food group.” The site’s creators proudly proclaim “Look Ho Ho has the BEST china (sic) food ever!!!!!” Tellingly, this group is categorized under “Religion and Spirituality.”

Again, not surprisingly, Halifax is host to many groups dedicated to honoring members’ tendencies to overindulge in alcohol. There is “ohhhh look at me I’m drunk again!!!” (198 members), “I don’t drink to socialize, I drink to get drunk” (61 members), “Former Underage Commons Drinkers” (47 members), and “FADDTM (Friends Against Drunk Dialing, Texting and Messaging)” (87 members). There’s also “Beer” (Description: “Beer is good.”), and “I love Beer!!” There are actually two different local groups called “I love beer,” the difference being the number of exclamation points they employ to express their love.

And there are random groups like “people who want animals and there (sic) parents wont (sic) let them”, “I work in an office and I steal food out of people's desks....”, the “black eyeliner appreciation club”, and, alarmingly, “sex in point pleasant park” for – you guessed it – people who like to do the nasty in an area which, I would suggest, holds a significant risk of standing, sitting, kneeling or otherwise frolicking in dog doody. Perhaps these same folks also belong to “I secretly adore the smell of the Halifax Harbour.”

I’m considering joining the “Halifax Association of Classy karaoke Singers”, and, if it weren’t already closed, I might have joined “Word Hearders (sic) and Button Monkeys .....Halifax Journalists”. Unfortunately, I think they meant “herders,” so, actually, I guess I probably wouldn’t have joined, especially since I am already a member of “I judge you when you use poor grammar.”
This is just the tip of the iceberg! Who says it’s hard to meet people you have something in common with? And if you’re not into any of these, feel free to join the other 41 members of the “Stop it with the groups. group” group.

No comments:

Post a Comment